Communication Skills & Strategies Workshop
About the Workshop
All master’s students (except those students in the Master of Science in Real Estate, Master of Professional Accountancy or MBA programs) must complete a one-day, non-credit workshop in business communication skills before registering for their fifth 8000-level course taught by the Robinson College of Business. (MPA and MBA students satisfy this requirement by taking MBA 8015; MSRE students satisfy this requirement by taking BCom 8250 or MBA 8015.) The workshop is not graded and covers both written and spoken communication.
Note: M.Tx. students following the requirements of catalogs prior to 2011-2012 satisfy this requirement by taking BCom 8250; beginning with the 2011-2012 Graduate Catalog, M.Tx students must satisfy this workshop requirement.
Specifically, students will learn to:
- Analyze audiences and formulate a conscious communication strategy.
- Write business documents that are clear, concise and objective-oriented.
- Improve information accessibility through document design.
- Develop and deliver effective oral presentations, including appropriate, high-level visuals in support of key ideas.
- Improve personal delivery in presentations, interviews, telephone conversations and meetings.
About the Exemption Policy
Students are exempt from the CSSW if they earned a grade of “B-” or higher in BCom 3950, BCom 7255 or BCOM 8250 at Georgia State University.
Students may petition for exemption from the business communication skills workshop by phoning Business Communication Programs in the Marketing Department at 404-413-7676 or faxing to 404-413-7653 if any of the following apply:
- Earned a grade of “B-” or higher in a business communication course at another accredited college or university. The course must have included significant practice in instruction in both written and spoken communication.
- Earned a grade of “B-” or higher in both a public speaking course and a business writing course at another accredited college or university.
- Completed communication courses sponsored by their employer.
- Students must provide documentation on the content of courses they have completed. Students will not be eligible to enroll in further 8000-level RCB coursework until they satisfy the requirement.
Workshops open to Georgia State students only.